- gain students’ attention
- set the mode for the lesson
- prepare students for the new stimulus
- arouse students’ interest
David, the Science AT of the school, talked about the importance of effective lesson starters mentioning that:
- students who ar active do not get bored
- boredom often leads to bad behaviour!
- students’ brains are “switched on”
- a good starter reminds students of previous learning
- a good starter informs students of what they are expected to know by the end of the lesson
- a good starter sets the “tone” for the rest of the lesson
Teachers are kindly requested to make good use of the information discussed during the session and apply the techniques used in their teaching so as to improve their performance and the quality of teaching.