It gives me great pleasure to congratulate you on the occasion of the new school year, wishing you all the best of luck.
I hope you consider the following.
1- Preparation and lesson planning:
Teachers are kindly requested to consider the following:
a- Good mental preparation.
b- Awareness of lesson objectives.
c- Careful study of the stimulus and preparing a mind map to sum up and clarify the content of the lesson.
d- Preparing the necessary activities and visual aids in advance.
e- Identifying the essential techniques and tools for presentation, practice and evaluation.
f- Writing down “Teacher’s Remarks – Self-evaluation or Reflection” to improve the learning process.
Consider the following stages:
- Class orientation (Gaining students’ attention).
- Physical environment (seating arrangements, light, AC, etc.).
- Eliciting objectives from the students and writing them on the board.
b. Presenting the new material which requires:
- Using correct English.
- Using various techniques and strategies for presentation, different aids and exercises that would suit the different levels of students (differentiation).
c. Using the available teaching aids effectively (tools, cards, smartboards, etc.) and creating teachers’ own aids.
d. Questioning techniques (6 directions).
e. Contextualization i.e. linking the teaching material to students’ lives and the social environment.
f. Considering pair and group work.
g. Engaging students in various activities that are closely related to lesson objectives. Be creative and encourage students’ creativity.
h. On-going assessment (Formative and summative evaluation).
i. Rounding off (Closure) – (Review the main points and objectives covered in the lesson during closure).
j. Analyse the students’ test results of each unit to identify students’ real needs and prepare “Remedial Teaching Plans”.
3- Classroom Management & (Personality Traits):
- Having a good appearance.
- Being lively and active. (Remember, your attitude is reflected upon your students).
- Being audible.
- Having a good rapport with administrators, teachers, parents and students.
- Enhancing desired behaviour and uprooting non-desired behaviour.
- “Error Correction” should be dealt with appropriately. Never be critical of your students’ mistakes.
- Teaching English communicatively.
- Motivating students through a variety of techniques.
- Involving students in various class and non-class activities.
- Paying adequate attention to the Workbook activities.
- Preparing additional language exercises to enhance some language areas (Could be challenging sometimes).
- Commitment to checking and marking written work regularly and accurately, and activating the communication box.
- Taking “timing” into account. Set a time limit for each task and stick to it.
4- General recommendations:
- Stay up to date with the latest technologies, methodology and best teaching and learning practices. Try out new ideas in your teaching to raise the quality of teaching and learning.
- Carry out daily lesson reflection to resolve teaching and learning issues and improve methodology. “Reflection” is an important tool for teachers’ professional development.
- Develop learner autonomy through engaging, creative, higher order and critical thinking tasks.
- Make sure you establish classroom rules, routines, relationships and behaviour management from the early beginning of the school year and maintain them throughout.