First of all I would like to congratulate all colleagues and students on coming back to school. It is a good chance for me to thank all the people who have given a hand in the process of moving to the new school building for their great efforts.
On Sunday, 26 September, 2010 the “Induction Week” started with an important topic which I presented. The topic is entitled “Policies of Ahmed Bin Hanbal Independent Secondary School for Boys“. The main points of the presentation focused on the following:
- Introduction to school vision, mission and philosophy
- Code of work and conduct
- School Calendar
- Semester, Unit and Lesson Plans
- Assessment Policy
To graduate students who stand out by their unique scientific and social skills in a learning environment characterized by dedication to the national and social sense. This educational environment should be equipped with modern technology and open to others, preserving the teachings of Islam and respecting the customs and traditions of others.
- Adopting an educational approach characterized by modernity and achieving the national standards
- Developing students’ creativity
- Ensuring that the students take pride in their country by preserving it
- Instill the teachings of Islamic and the preservation of customs and traditions
- Respecting the views and beliefs of others, being open to other cultures and most importantly engaging the community
Code of Work and Conduct
- Commitment to school policy and applying administration instructions
- Punctuality and carrying out all tasks assigned by school authorities
- Self-respect and respect of others
- Cooperation with colleagues and working as a team
All subject teams have been invited to develop schemes of work, semester plans, unit plans and lesson plans for the school year based on the Supreme Education Council Standards and work hard on achieving them. I advised the audience to use the same template used last year and the three parts lesson plan including: starter, main activity and lesson plenary.
I also discussed with the teachers the different types of assessment and tests and the purpose of each type:
- Diagnostic Tests
- Formative Assessment
- Summative Assessment
- Self Evaluation
Then I moved on to clarifying the school assessment policy which is clearly shown in the presentation provided. All the coordinators and teachers were enthusiastic and eager to participate actively in the discussion.